My experiment was a success! Pumpkin pasties (a la Harry Potter). I worked from the ground up here, no recipe to speak of for the filling or the process. The pie crust was my grandmother’s recipe.
Note that this is not a quick or simple recipe. It involves making pie crust and several rounds in the oven. Do not attempt if you’re not comfortable cooking complicated things or tend to be a disaster in the kitchen, Kryptaria I am looking at you.
- 1 package shortening
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 egg - divided
Cut Crisco into flour until it forms small bits
Add egg yolk, water, and vinegar to flour/Crisco mix
Blend to a paste
Beat egg white to stiff - but not dry - consistency
Add to dough and mix (use your hands)
Form paste into log, wrap in cling film, chill until firm
- 1 large can (796 gr) pure pumpkin - not pie filling
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk - I used Eagle Brand dulce de leche flavour, but plain should work
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch salt
Mix in casserole dish, bake uncovered until semi-solid (40 mins at 375)
Let filling cool
Pre-heat oven to 325 F.
The top of your filling should have formed a semi-solid skin. Mix it together to blend this into the rest of the filling. It’s tasty and adds a nice texture. (see bottom two photos)
Roll chilled dough on floured surface to a thickness of approximately 1/8”.
Use a ring cutter or a bowl of about six inches in diameter to cut out rounds.
Place one dollop (large heaping teaspoon) of filling the centre of each circle. Moisten the edge of the circle using water or milk. Fold the dough in half, forming a crescent around the filling, and crimp the edges together. I am lazy and used a fork, you can make a more decorative edge if you prefer. Poke some steam holes in the top of the pasty with your fork. Paint tops with egg wash or milk. I was out of eggs and used milk, but eggs will give you a more golden top.
Place them on a greased (or Silpat) cookie sheet, close together but not touching (see second-to-last photos). This recipe will yield roughly two dozen pasties, with a little bit of filling leftover. You can eat the filling as-is, just with a spoon, if you’d like, since the eggs will have cooked in the first bake.
Bake for roughly 30 mins, until pie crust is flaky and golden.
Let cool, for the love of god. I was a dumbass and bit into one after about five minutes, and I am still regretting it.
- justplainoldkate likes this
- inthedrft reblogged this from moonblossom
- lonelyredwolf reblogged this from theinquisitivefox
- theinquisitivefox reblogged this from moonblossom
- redwoodforestelf likes this
- you-had-me-at-herondale reblogged this from moonblossom
- you-had-me-at-herondale likes this
- peegaw likes this
- golden-poppy-crafts reblogged this from moonblossom and added:
- beardedmeninknittedthings said: this is amazing!
- suicidalmarshmallow likes this
- ariadnamsaenz reblogged this from slow-down-grab-the-salt
- slow-down-grab-the-salt reblogged this from moonblossom
- beardedmeninknittedthings likes this
- sweetperversion likes this
- jaradel likes this
- rebelmaggie likes this
- qualia-keeper likes this
- textualselection likes this
- wallpaper-kites reblogged this from moonblossom
- ethyrnality likes this
- displacedfever likes this
- pieuvrecakes likes this
- i-lied-i-am-an-escalator likes this
- wannabe-badwolf likes this
- inwonderunderground likes this
- verymorstan likes this
- mountainkings likes this
- therenboy likes this
- nyxviola likes this
- crownedprinceofprozac reblogged this from moonblossom
- mycabinispressurised likes this
- mycabinispressurised reblogged this from moonblossom
- arabella-strange likes this
- moonblossom reblogged this from moonblossom
- yueh-chan reblogged this from moonblossom
- siren10101 likes this
- peachchanvidel likes this
- argyle4eva reblogged this from moonblossom and added:
- argyle4eva likes this
- khorazir likes this
- bohemu reblogged this from dederants
- uhuraas likes this
- kaijudorkspawn likes this
- persian-slipper likes this
- indiviolet likes this
- iamponyboy reblogged this from moonblossom
- saveitasajpeg reblogged this from dederants and added:
- saveitasajpeg likes this